Building Permit Applications
- Building Permit Application (PDF) - All construction applications require submitting a building permit application. Certain types of work can be applied for with the Online Building Permit Application. Those projects include:
- Building Permit Fee Schedule - Each permit issued includes a fee, due when the application is submitted.
- Application for Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF) - All building permits for exterior improvements within the Historic District require a Certificate of Appropriateness approval from the Historic Preservation Commission. The Commission reviews COAs for compliance with the Historic Preservation Design Guidelines (PDF).
- Driveway Permit (PDF) - All new and replacements driveways require a Driveway permit. This application includes a right of way permit for work
- Portable Signs in the Downtown Mixed Use District (PDF) - This packet includes basic information for portable signs in the Downtown Mixed Use District (DMU). All Portable Signs require a building permit application. Portable signs placed on public sidewalks require a Portable Sign Sidewalk License application.
- Building Code Appeal (PDF) - This application is used to appeal on a decision related to the interpretation of the building code.
Several home improvement projects not listed above, also need to meet City of Batavia specifications and may require building permit applications. Please read the PDFs for the following projects:
- Chicken and Coop Requirements (PDF)
- Demolition (PDF)
- Fireplaces (PDF)
- Garages (PDF)
- Mailboxes (PDF)
- Plat of Survey Requirement (PDF)
- Plumbing (PDF)
- Porches and Sunrooms (PDF)
- Residential Alterations (PDF)
- Residential Building Permit Checklist (PDF)
- Solar Photovoltaic (PV) System Permit Application Checklist (PDF)
- Swimming Pool Draining Guide (PDF)
- Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs (PDF)
Right of Way Permit Applications
The following permit applications are tailored for the different types of right-of-way projects and include information pertinent to each project type.
- Right of Way Permit - General (PDF) - This form is for general projects that involve work within the right of way, such as curb or sidewalk removal and replacement, street cuts, sump pump connections, and utility improvements and repairs.
- Right of Way Permit - Parkway Tree (PDF) - This form is to be submitted when the only right of way work is for the planting of a tree in the parkway.
Electric Service Permits
The City of Batavia operates its own electric utility. For new electric service for commercial or residential properties, please submit the appropriate form:
The Building Division makes every attempt to process building permit applications as quickly as possible. Depending on workload, residential permit applications will be processed within two weeks of receipt and commercial permit applications within three weeks of receipt. A representative from the Building Division will contact the applicant upon review of the application.
These applications are for projects that involve a public hearing or meeting process before the Plan Commission or City Council. Please contact the Community & Economic Development Department's Planning and Zoning Division for assistance with projects that require these applications. Staff will inform you of when these applications are required.