Electronics Disposal and Recycling
Groot will provide curbside collection of e-waste on your collection day for a prepaid additional fee ($45.00 for up to 6 items bundled). TV/Monitors cost $45 each. Residents must call Groot 24 hours in advance at 630-892-9294 to schedule collection of e-waste.
Kane County Offers Recycling for Electronics and Other Items
The program includes two daily drop-offs in the county, as well as one-day collection events in St. Charles. Information on the Batavia site is listed below.
Cost for TVs and monitors
There will be a fee for TVs and computer monitors – both tube and flat screen - across the board for all drop-off locations and the event. You will find that there is a cost for these items nearly anywhere that processes electronics for recycling.
The fee is $25 for screens under 21" (measured diagonally) and $35 for screens 21" and over. All other acceptable electronic items can be dropped off for free. See the full list of items that can be recycled in the program here.
The fee may be paid online in advance or on site by exact cash or card. It is recommended that you pay online in advance if possible and bring your receipt to any drop-off or the collection event. You must have the receipt with you!
The fee that you pay for screened equipment goes directly to the County’s contracted electronics recycler, eWorks, a non-profit whose main mission is to employ developmentally disabled individuals.
Southern location – Batavia:
Located at 517 E. Fabyan Parkway in Batavia. Look for large trailer on north side of street just east of Route 25. Drop-off hours of operation will be Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. See instructions here.
Utilizing the convenient daily drop-off locations is recommended if you wish to avoid waiting in line at a collection event. Not only is it more ecologically responsible to avoid idling for long periods but also spreading the volume of electronics between sites will help the County to maintain a professional level of service at the one-day collection events.
The drop-off locations are staffed full time to avoid the dumping issues, such as businesses taking advantage of the residential program and dumping large quantities of TVs, or residents dumping unacceptable and/or hazardous materials at the sites.
Security cameras, that detect motion, monitor the sites after hours and offenders will be fined. Illegally dumping a TV or any other material at the drop-off sites after hours is a Class A misdemeanor which has a maximum fine of $2,500, a jail sentence of up to 364 days, or both.
One-day Collection Events:
See the Kane County Recycles webpage for the current schedule and most current updates on the program.
2023 Event Dates*
7/22/23 Extravaganza: Electronics, Clothing, Books, Foam, Bikes, & more
9/30/23 Paint & Shredding
*Subject to change
Questions: Kane County Recycling Coordinator, Clair Ryan, 630-208-3841, or email Clair Ryan.
- Appliances: Only non-freon appliances only like washers, dryers, stoves, microwaves, hot water tanks for free drop off at recycling site.
- Books: Newer textbooks, kids books, and any books in good condition that can be reused, but will also take books of any age; hard or soft cover books; encyclopedias and other hardcover collectibles; and magazines (or recycle in your cart at home). Moldy/wet books and shredded paper cannot be accepted.
- Cable Receivers
- CD Players
- Cell Phones
- Christmas/holiday light strings
- Circuit Boards
- Clothing and textiles
- Coffee makers (excluding glass pots)
- Computers (CPUs, Laptops, Tablet PCs, computer batteries)
- Computer Drives
- Cords & Cables
- Digital Converter Boxes
- DVD Players & Recorders
- Dishwashers - free drop off at recycling site
- Docking Stations
- Dryers - free drop off at recycling site
- Fans (metal fans only)
- Fax Machines
- Hard Drives
- Holiday Light Strings
- Hot water heaters
- Monitors (fee applies)
- Ovens/Stoves - free drop off at recycling site
- PDA Organizers
- Portable Digital Music Players
- Power Supplies
- Satellite Receivers
- Scrap metal
- Small Scale Servers
- Speakers (no large wood speakers)
- Stoves/Ovens - free drop off at recycling site
- Televisions (fee applies)
- Vacuums (no cloth bags)
- Video Game Consoles
- Washing Machines - free drop off at recycling site
- Wires @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>